Sunday, November 8, 2009

Michael Wesch- Toward a New Future or Whatever

NASA Photos
This video of Michael Wesch discusses the evolution of technology and how it has changed our lives forever. He begins by talking about the "cable" boom in the 80's and how it has affected us in terms of entertaining ourselves. He goes on to talk about the 90's where he shows the a clip from the Simpson's which became a huge hit. He also hits on the Real World to the American Idol phenomenon. He focuses on the evolution of the use of the term "whatever", which has transcended time and came up any many other instances. He explains that our society is becoming more narcisistic. "Media", he explains, "is controlled by a few and affects the masses". In the exploration of media, Michael thinks that new media, such as youtube, will allow us to discover ourselves in a different and more enlightening way.

My reaction to this video is that I really don't see the point of this video. He brings up important points in which I mentioned in the previous paragraph, but of what relevance does it have on the average person or educator. As a teacher, I'm not sure how this information will benefit me. The only positive that I can draw for me personally is that I know now that 20 million videos are uploaded to youtube a day. Thats a lot of videos. As I learned on earlier assignment, there are some very good information on youtube. The other things he talked, absolutely bore me and is irrelevant to me at this point. Sorry to be so harsh Michael.

1 comment:

  1. Good review. Everyone's opinion counts. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete