Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dear Kaia: Voice Thread and Video

 a picture of the sahara dessert bright orange sand

The blog started by Kaia's father started out as a simple project designed to capture his daughter's experience of exploring her surrounding. He wanted her to spend more time outside after he began reading a book called A Child Left in the Woods. What started out as a simple blog turned into an experience that would soon affect hundreds, even thousands of those who came in contact with Mr. Chamberlain's class blog. Kaia's dad received a few comments from Chamberlain's class and decided he would contact them to further their interest. Mr. Chamberlain's class soon made a video blog and audio to let Kaia know of their appreciation for her work. Kaia was only three years old at the time.

My initial reaction is that I see this as another excellent way of technology being used in a way that furthers the education of this generation. It is pretty extraordinary that this is possible and that there are millions of people who are using this technology. My concerns though, would be that I 'm not sure if its a great idea to live our lives online. I am a big proponent of technology and its usefulness to us. But, what I am against is having our lives being totally open for the world to see and use at its disposal. I do understand the a majority of us will use this as an educational experience, but I am reminded that everyone doesn't have this in mind. Once again, I applaud Mr. Chamberlain and his class for their efforts and contributions. I especially think the same of Kaia and her father.

1 comment: