Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The New Media Literacies by the NLM Staff

The New Media Literacies video on youtube was about the skills required to be a functional citizen in the 21st century. It takes a look at what we need to know in order to possess certain skills in order to be successful. I apparently didn't get much of the point of this video as it seems to a small part of what I have already learned in Ms. Averitt's EDM 310 class.

I don't agree that the skills mentioned (judgement, negotiation,appropriation, play,transmedia investigation, simulation, collective intelligence, performance, distributed cognition, visualization, multitasking) are the ones of the 21st century that we need to be successful workers, artists, or citizens. Instead, I think this may be useful for educational purposes, but not for those who do not fit the criteria for post secondary study. More important skills such as adaptability and motivational skills are required by the "other" workers or citizens.

I possess some of the skills, but I do not neccessarily use them in the manner of the video. Of the ones I possess are judgement, negotiation, simulation, collective intelligence, performance, visualization, and multitasking. How do I plan to attain the others? I don't understand the full capacity of them, therefore, I'm not sure that I would actually need them. But I assume I do need them, so I would say that the way I intend to attain them is by studying more about the New Media Literacies Project and finding out how I can practice these skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment